Monday, April 1, 2013


 A Little more about me, my dance career and MS:

Dance exercise is more than a work out for me. To others I may look like a girl that is way too into the class and that I’m trying to actually perform a dance concert or something. But in actuality it is a reminder of where I have been and where I am now. In high school & college I danced and absolutely loved it! It was fun; it kept me in shape and kept me rounded.
In 2010 I had a rude awakening. I woke up one morning unable to walk, write, talk, drive, or dance. After going to the emergency room I was sent to a neurologist, the fabulous Doctor Claudill Miller of the Neurology Consultants of Montgomery. It was there that I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I was traumatized(!)…from dancing; to disabled in the blink of an eye. No more dance, no more cheer, no more heels. What was I going to do with myself? Once the tests were done I was transferred to another amazing neurologist, Dr Sarah Shashy, also of the Neurology Consultants of Montgomery. By this time I’d regained most of my motor skills but was scared to dance.

I thought that life after MS had no jamming and I would never dance again. But then Dr. Shashy suggested that I try Zumba! So what did I do? I went to Zumba and jammed out! Since I figured out that MS won't stop my groove I have gone on to be a part of the Eclectic Dance Company at Alabama State University and volunteer with McKee Jr High School’s dance line.

 So you see why it is more than a fun work out for me! Dance class at Born to Dance Studio with Stacy is so fun! I get my Beyonce fix, my old school bump and a little sexy every now and then! I love learning new styles of dance and with Stacy's classes you with get so many different types.

If you have multiple sclerosis there are several forms of exercise you can do.
Of course you should discuss it with your doctor first but I find Zumba great because there are really no specific movements that you have to do. Having MS, specific can be pretty tiricky. In the Zumba class as long as you do "something" like the moves, you still look like your right! You won't feel left out or like you stand out because everyone looks so crazy wild and free everybody in the class looks like they've got something wrong with them anyway! If you have MS not moving is one of the worst things you can do. If you are able Find a local gym or dance studio and get out there and groove!

Here are some links that may be helpful and provide more information






No comments:

Post a Comment